** 100 YEARS OLD **
April 3, 1912 - April 3, 2012
The Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War, 1861 - 1865, is the oldest and largest of all Civil War American Women's organizations based on lineal descent. It was organized Decoration Day, May 30th, 1885.
Local groups, called Tents, are named for Army Nurses who served in the Civil War or for any loyal woman of the Civil War era whose patriotic deeds during the years 1861 - 1865 were recorded.
On April 3, 1912, Eva Gray Tent No. 2 was instituted in Grand Rapids with 21 charter members. This was the second tent in Michigan under the name of National Alliance, Daughters of Veterans and was named in memory of Mrs. Eva A. Gray, who was a President of Custer Relief Corps in Grand Rapids, Michigan, in 1890, and President of the Department of Michigan, Woman's Relief Corps, in 1905. The Tent became inactive on January 1, 1988.
Then, in 1999, Eva Gray Tent No. 2 was reactivated. Today, we are nearly 40 members strong!
Submitted by Susan Norder, October 2004